Thursday, December 08, 2005

In other news...

Ethiopian Soccer Team

The Ethiopian national team is into the finals of the CECAFA tournament in Rwanda beating Zanzibar 4-0. Uganda and hosts Rwanda will play for the remaining spot in the finals. I am a sports fan and would like to see the Ethiopian team repeat as champions. I am sure another CECAFA championship will bring some joy to the hearts of all sport-loving Ethiopians. I wish the Ethiopian team all the best in their final match. Win or lose I have great admiration for these young men representing Ethiopia at this critical juncture with class and dignity.

Ethiopian for Winter Olympics

No, I did not make a mistake. There is an Ethiopian training to represent Ethiopia in the 2006 Winter Olympics in Torino, Italy. His name is Robel Teklemariam and is featured in For Ethiopian, the ski's the limit. Currently, there is one person on the Ethiopian Ski Team as per the Ethiopian Ski Federation website. Hopefully, Robel's effort will encourage those who have interest in and access to skiing to be part of this new team.

I myself enjoy skiing even if it has been a while since my last visit to the ski slopes. I find his story encouraging and hope he will be successful in his efforts. Robel is raising funds so he can travel to the Olympics and I am sure he would appreciate any help from Ethiopians and friends of Ethiopa to make his dreams come true. I will certainly look forward to watching the Winter Olympics, this time I will be rooting for Ethiopia.

No comments: